Sunday, August 17, 2008

Dirty Word?

Best sermon I've ever heard on the word submit. Thanks to Pastor Steve Armfield at our church for helping me re-think submission. If you have a few minutes , o.k. more like a half an hour, take a listen. (Be patient. It takes a few seconds to download.)

If I'm being perfectly honest, I've always struggled with the word "headship". After all, I'm a confident independent woman of the 21st century. I want to be the head of my own ship thank you very much. A funny example of this is when my dear brother-in-law called us about a year into our marriage and just a few months into his own and asked Jeff how he was handling being the "head of our household." To which Jeff moved the phone away from his ear and yelled across our dingy apartment, "Hey Laurie - am I the head of our house?" I think if you have to ask ... the answer may be NO! ;)

Maybe what my brother-in-law was asking wasn't how are you doing at being the "boss" and "ruler" of your home but rather, how are you loving your wife? Are you loving her like Christ loved the church? When you look at her do you see the cross right over her shoulder? I'm going to believe that is what he was asking and that we were too immature to understand the question. Because let's face it, the other alternative would make him somewhat less "dear" to feisty 'ole me. :)

No comments: