Monday, December 14, 2009

Funny Dating Story

Year: 1990
Place: Senior Banquet, Amway Grand Plaza, Downtown Grand Rapids
Date's Name: Let's just call him Bob

Bob was a senior and I was a junior at the time of this spring banquet. The only way an underclassmen could attend was if he or she was invited by a senior. Since I barely ventured out of my class in search of friends, I thought I was safe. I was wrong. An acquaintance I knew from sports called and told me how hurt he was that someone had turned down his invitation to this big dance. He said, "I just wanted to go as friends. I don't know why she didn't understand that. You're my friend, right?"

NOTE TO MY HIGH SCHOOL SELF ... BE CAREFUL HOW YOU ANSWER THIS QUESTION.

I answered something like this, "Ummmm ... yeah. I guess we're friends."

To which he responded, "Well good. So you'll go to the dance with me as friends?"

NOTE TO MY HIGH SCHOOL SELF ... YOU'VE BEEN DUPED.

Since I was raised to be nice and kind, I said sure. After much teasing from my best friend (who just happened to be a guy), I planned out some of the details of this mercy date. When Bob asked me what I would be wearing I told him I had a silver/light blue dress. He seemed disappointed in the color. I quickly found out why when he picked me up in a full white tuxedo with tails accompanied by a white tie and cumberbund. Bob complained that he couldn't find a tie & cumberbund to match my dress.

NOTE TO MY HIGH SCHOOL SELF ... YOU ARE ON A DATE WITH DON JOHNSON. GET OVER IT.

The date was fine and relatively uneventful. But maybe I just don't remember it that well since I was blinded by his tux for most of the night.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

i think i see where this is going... and i like it.

;-)

Lynn said...

OK, I'm dying here. I have to know who Bob is...He would've been in my class. Can you at least give me initials?

Amy said...

Oh I have one of those mercy date stories...we will call mine George...wait a minute...that was his actual name! Yikes!! It was THAT bad!!

MiniMe Mom said...

HAHA this is so funny.