Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Shhhhh ...



Who would shush this little guy?

Here I am blogging again ... and complaining. Maybe blogging has become my therapy. Do you ever have times when you are just sick of people? Not any one person but just the entire population? :) It always surprises me when I am surprised at how inconsiderate, rude, and just not nice people can really be. I decided to take my two youngest kids to the library for a fun outing after preschool. Well, two year old boys and the word "quiet" don't typically go together so needless to say, I found myself chasing after him, telling him to be quiet, and shoving a paci in his mouth when he got too loud. After the very first noise he made, an old man on a computer in the center of the library just cranked his neck to see who made that noise. Any noises that followed were met with a similar craning of his neck.

After only 20 min. I decided it was time to go and as I walked past this man he actually put his finger to his mouth and looked me right in the eye and said, "SHHHHH". Since I had healthy amount of confrontation in my family growing up,(my mom had five girls in six and half years) and since I was not in the mood to be messed with, I looked right back at him and said, "Are you kidding me?" To which of course he replied, "No, I am not." I said, "He's two, give me a break." And he said, "And you are the adult and it's your job to keep him quiet." As my cheeks redden and steam came pouring out of my ears, I tried to come up with a quick comeback and came back with this lame reply ... "I am always surprised when I meet rude people." Then stormed away and thought of at least 20 different things I should have said as I walked to my car. I really need to stop being surprised - like the bumper sticker says, Mean People Suck.

If you have a better comeback I could have used, post it on my comments on the bottom. :)

2 comments:

denhartigh said...

Why don't YOU shut the hell up?

Bradi said...

I'm not good at witty comebacks in those situations either...
LOL...I think you need to switch libraries!
Raegan was running through the aisles screeching the last time I went (to pick up my book club book of course!) and as I apologized profusely to everyone around me the nice librarian man said to me..."Hey, she's a kid...that's what they do! She's just really excited about reading!" I've loved him ever since...